BSc in Quantitative Finance
Both students who participate in the Joint-University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) and non-JUPAS applicants who possess other qualifications, such as IB, GCEAL, JEE, GSAT and SAT, can consider applying for direct admission into QFIN program.
For more admission information, please refer to the SBM Undergraduate Admission website here.
JUPAS Admissions Figures 2017 - 2022
This information is for reference only. Please notes that the public examination results of students admitted to each program vary from year to year. Moreover, we consider an applicant's whole profile, on top of the HKDSE Score.
For more information about JUPAS 2023 admission requirements, statistics and JUPAS Score Calculator, please refer to the website here
For current HKUST SBM students who are eligible to join the Major Selection Exercise
This program is suitable for students who have a strong interest in having a career in finance. For more information about School-Based Admission, please refer to the website here. For more information about Major Selection Exercise, please refer to the website here.
Total Quota for 2021-22 Intake: 45 students (indicative)
Total Quota for 2022-23 Intake: 40 students (indicative)
Note that the total quota indicated above include students admitted to QFIN program via program-based admissions. For example, we have already admitted 20 QFIN students via program-based admission, the quota for students who want to join QFIN via major selection exercise will be 25 for 2021-22 intake.
HKUST students who already have their first majors but consider changing their first majors to QFIN can apply for a program transfer.
For cross-school transfer including all joint-school programs, program transfer application will be considered by the end of student’s Year 1 Spring or Year 2 Fall.
For SBM students who wish to transfer to QFIN, application will only be considered at the end of student’s 3rd term (2nd term for senior year entry students). In addition, the program transfer applications will be considered after the completion of the main round of major selection exercise so that it is fair to all students as such requests should normally be accepted when there is still quota left for the intake cohort.
Program Transfer to QFIN is only considered on a case-by-case basis. We expect students to
- be able to demonstrate a very strong interest in quantitative finance
- possess abilities to succeed in quantitative finance-related career
- possess abilities to perform well academically in QFIN Program
- CGA of B+ or above (3.3 or above)
- Meet all QFIN admission requirements in Major Selection Exercise
- For program transfer to be effective in Fall term, all relevant documents must be submitted by July 15.
- For program transfer to be effective in Spring term, all relevant documents must be submitted by January 3.
Please submit an online application via HERE and upload the following materials:
- Student’s latest unofficial transcript
- Personal statement, with no less than 500 words, to explain why you want to transfer to QFIN program
- Study Plan [Click HERE to download]. Study plan must show that it is feasible to graduate within a normal 4-year period.
Due to the quota limitation, QFIN program will only accept few applications. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview. You will hear from the Department within 2 weeks after the application deadline.
With the approval of the relevant Major-program Coordinators, students may complete the requirements for more than one major program and have these programs appear on their transcript. Due to the quota limitation, QFIN program will only accept few applications for program transfer and declaring additional major in QFIN.
Requirements on Students Applying for Additional Major
- To graduate with an additional major, students must complete at least 20 single-counted credits. These 20 credits cannot be used to fulfill any other requirements for graduation except for the 120-credit degree requirement.
- Students should be able to finish all major and additional major courses within the normative 4 years of study with a normal credit load (18 credits per term or up to 21 credits if over CGA at 3.3).
Additional Major for currently enrolled QFIN Students
Students registered as QFIN major are possible to declare additional major if
- they are approved by the department of the additional major; and
- they are approved by the UG coordinator of QFIN program
- Subject to the department offering the additional major. Please contact the department offering the additional major for details.
Non-QFIN Students Pursuing an Additional Major in QFIN
For students who want to declare QFIN as their additional major, applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and the quota is limited to few quota per year. Based on recent cases, students who successfully declared QFIN as their additional major on average have CGA above 3.8 with competitive resume and interview performance. Your application must be approved by both QFIN coordinator and the coordinator of your first major.
- For additional major to be effective in Fall term, all relevant documents must be submitted by July 15.
- For additional major to be effective in Spring term, all relevant documents must be submitted by January 3.
- Shortlisted candidates will receive interview invitations by July 22 for Fall term, and January 10 for Spring term.
Please submit the following documents to Ms. Miki YEUNG by the application deadline:
- Completed application form for declaring additional major. The form can be downloaded here
- Latest unofficial transcript
- Curriculum of both the first major and additional major programs
- Study plan (please contact Ms. Miki YEUNG at email@example.com for the study plan template). Study plan must show that it is feasible for you to graduate within a normal 4-year period.